Last week I was honored at a banquet for being the most constitutional legislator in the State of Missouri. The reason is remarkable because people like us rarely are noticed, much less rewarded. As we watch our country coasting toward bigger government and more socialism, politicians become popular quickly when they dole out favors and money to the special interest groups. Those who vote according to constitutional and free market principles usually don't get accolades like those who channel funding to squeaky wheels.
The Y.O.U.N.G. (Yesterday's Oath Under Noble Guardians) Conservatives of America Locke & Smith Award
A committee evaluated all the bills that were passed and using objective criteria rated each legislator strictly on his or her voting record. When I found out this group was only considering actual votes, I knew I had a good chance of winning. The old expression is "Actions speak louder than words". The YOUNG Conservatives of America really means it when they say it's about how you vote; and frankly, that is what counts when it comes to honest representation. The country has suffered at the hands of those who have a smooth talk during election time, then side with the highest bidder or their "best buddies" when it is time to vote. The nature of a democratic republic form of government is that we are supposed to trust the person in office to vote according to the principles he stood for when he ran for office. Many voters have experienced that sense of betrayal when their office-holder pivots on important issues.
The questions the YOUNG Conservatives of America used to rate legislation are as follows:
- Is this a proper function of government?
- Does legislation *create* favoritism? (in any manner)
- Does legislation have (favorable or negative) impact? (anything..?)
- Does legislation create a fee for service scenario that only government can provide?
- Does legislation impact personal liberty or freedom?
- Does legislation undermine personal responsibility?
- Does legislation create a means by which a government entity or government employees can abuse a taxpayer approved tax or amendment?
- Can legislation be currently enforced under existing laws?
It is important to note that though I received the top score I was followed closely by Representatives Will Kraus and Rob Schaaf. Both these gentlemen won fierce primary elections and will be serving in the Missouri Senate next year, so we have good reason to hope the Missouri Senate will become more constitutional in the future.
Here are the ratings of eight other state representatives from St. Charles County out of 163:
# 1 Cynthia Davis
# 5 Chuck Gatschenberger
# 9 Sally Faith
# 11 Kenny Biermann
# 71 Scott Dieckhaus
# 95 Doug Funderburk
# 100 Mark Parkinson
# 103 Joe Smith
# 125 Anne Zerr
Here are the ratings of the senators in St. Charles County out of 34 senators:
# 15 Tom Dempsey
# 30 Scott Rupp
If you don't live in St Charles County you can see how your Representative or Senator rated.
Special thanks belong to the constituents of my district for sending me back to Jefferson City four times to cast votes in favor of our constitution and the principles that made this a great state and nation.
Your thoughts are important to me, so let me know what you think about the Y.O.U.N.G. Conservatives creating a rating system to identify an objective standard for grading the legislators. You can send me your opinion by clicking here: Cynthia Davis
The Davis Family Gives Thanks
Among our blessings this Thanksgiving, we thank God for our new grandson Benjamin Elijah Davis.
A Little Bit of HumorThanksgiving: 12 Reasons to be Thankful you Burned the Turkey!
- Salmonella won't be a concern.
- Everyone will think your turkey is Cajun blackened.
- Uninvited guests will think twice next year.
- Your cheese broccoli lima bean casserole will gain newfound appreciation.
- Pets won't pester you for scraps.
- No one will overeat.
- The smoke alarm was due for a test.
- Carving the bird will provide a good cardiovascular workout.
- You'll get to the desserts even quicker.
- You won't have to face three weeks of turkey sandwiches.