Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

03 June 2010

Davis: Memorial Day 2010


This is better than any barbecue---joining together with the Veterans and citizens at the O'Fallon Memorial Ceremony.  It was hot, but our hearts and souls were united for one cause -remembering those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our liberty.


Sheldon Hartsfield, Vice Chair of the Veterans Commission, was the Master of Ceremonies and brought his grandchildren.  His granddaughter in the red dress, Vanessa Holtzer, is five years old and led us in the Pledge of Allegiance.


We decided to build the Veterans Walk Memorial while I was serving my fourth term on the O'Fallon Board of Aldermen.  This annual Memorial Day ceremony has grown every year and is now one of the best in the area.  We are fortunate to have so many fine veterans living here.  Here I am with Jerry Studstill, Chairman of the O'Fallon Veterans Commission and behind me (in the blue blazer) is Dan Turner, the keynote speaker of the morning.


I was surprised when I was asked to speak, but honored to be a part of such a touching ceremony.  The Mayor of O'Fallon is behind me with Jerry Studstill.  Jerry did the benediction at the conclusion of the ceremony. Perhaps some of my warm feelings for veterans come from the fact that my father was in World War II and the Korean War.  We all have family members who were in the military.  I am so grateful my father survived, yet we should honor the bravery for those who didn't return.


Bill and Madolena Key came to the Memorial Day Ceremony with me.  Bill is in the United States Coast Guard and was called upon to help with part of the ceremony as well.

Your thoughts are important to me, so please let me know what you did on Memorial Day. You can send me your opinion by clicking here: Cynthia Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment