Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

26 August 2010

Davis: State Fair

The Missouri State Fair




Last week I went to the State Fair in Sedelia.  You never know who you are going to meet there.  The state fair is a wonderful mix of education and family fun.  In a world where we have to protect our children from so many negative influences, it is nice to know there is still a place you can take your kids to find wholesome entertainment.  The Missouri State Fair is one of those places that reminded me of what the world used to be like.

Children who live in urban areas often have no idea from where their food comes.  The cows made such an impact on my son; he remembered them from last year.  This year we got to see a demonstration of calf herding.  The State Fair is truly one of the gems of our State.

Cynthia In the News

Cynthia Davis Plans To Continue Newsletter as New St. Charles County GOP Chief

[link to original article]

By Mark Schlinkmann
St. Louis Today / St. Louis Post-Dispatch; Tuesday, August 24, 2010; 11:43 am

State Rep. Cynthia Davis, who was elected last week to chair the St. Charles County Republican Committee, says in her new role she'll continue the periodic newsletters that at times have stirred controversy.

"I'll begin a newsletter similar to my Capitol Report in which I exposed and explained government to my constituents," said Davis, who will leave the House in January because of term limits.

She said the revamped newsletter will be part of her efforts to spark "an elevated presence" for the party leadership in the county.

"There is a groundswell for change that's bubbling up right now," she said. "We will be reminding people what we stand for.  We're going to engage the public.  This is not going to be some kind of backroom quiet geriatric club."

In the Aug. 3 GOP primary, Davis, of O'Fallon, lost her bid to unseat state Sen. Scott Rupp, R-Wentzville.  The race was bitter and Davis repeatedly accused Rupp and others in the GOP Senate majority of sometimes straying from conservative principles. Rupp had disputed that.

Rupp was diplomatic about Davis' new party role and said he expects to be able to work with her although he typically doesn't have a lot of interaction with the "party chair apparatus."

He said the two had cooperated previously in the Legislature before she decided to run against him.

"Hopefully now that she's not opposing me on the ballot, she can get back to working together," Rupp said Tuesday.

Davis spoke similarly. "We're both professionals and I have no problem working with every Republican nominee," she said.

Davis was the only one nominated for the committee chairmanship and was chosen unanimously.  She succeeds Tom Kuypers, who didn't run in the primary for another term on the committee.

Meanwhile, the St. Charles County Democratic Committee re-elected St. Peters Alderman Tommy Roberts as chairman for another two years.

A Little Bit of Humor

"I'm fine, really!"


Farmer Brown decided his injuries from the accident were serious enough to take the trucking company (responsible for the accident) to court. In court, the trucking company's fancy lawyer was questioning Farmer Brown. "Didn't you say, at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine'?" asked the lawyer.

Farmer Brown responded, "Well I'll tell you what happened. I had just loaded my favorite mule Bessie into the..."

"I didn't ask for any details," the lawyer interrupted, "just answer the question. Did you not say, at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine'?"

Farmer Brown said, "Well I had just gotten Bessie into the trailer and I was driving down the road..."

The lawyer interrupted again and said, "Judge, I am trying to establish the fact that, at the scene of the accident, this man told the Highway Patrolman on the scene that he was just fine. Now several weeks after the accident he is trying to sue my client. I believe he is a fraud. Please tell him to simply answer the question."

By this time the Judge was fairly interested in Farmer Brown's answer and said to the lawyer, "I'd like to hear what he has to say about his favorite mule Bessie."

Brown thanked the Judge and proceeded, "Well as I was saying, I had just loaded Bessie, my favorite mule, into the trailer and was driving her down the highway when this huge semi-truck and trailer ran the stop sign and smacked my truck right in the side."

He continued, "I was thrown into one ditch and Bessie was thrown into the other. I was hurting real bad and didn't want to move. However, I could hear ole Bessie moaning and groaning. I knew she was in terrible shape just by her groans."

"Shortly after the accident a highway patrolman came on the scene. He could hear Bessie moaning and groaning so he went over to her. After he looked at her, he took out his gun and shot her between the eyes. Then the patrolman came across the road with his gun in his hand and looked at me."

Finally, farmer Brown came to the end of the story. "The patrolman looked at me and said, 'Your mule was in such bad shape I had to shoot her. How are YOU feeling'?"

No comments:

Post a Comment