Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

08 November 2010

Roorda: Tuesday's Set-Back

Greetings!

I suffered a set-back last Tuesday night in what has otherwise been a rewarding and successful career in public service.  I was one of 15 incumbents in Missouri who were not re-elected in a trend that could be seen nationwide.  I was among Eleven state House members, two state Senators, a long-time Congressman and the first non-gubernatorial statewide officeholder to lose since 1968.

We live in difficult, volatile times.  For three straight national elections there have been sweeping electoral shifts that have ousted record numbers of incumbents.  The message from the voters has been clear: put aside petty, divisive partisan differences and do something about job loss, government spending and the economy.

Unfortunately, many politicians at the national level have failed to hear that message.  At the State level, we got the message loud and clear.  In Missouri, we passed a major jobs bill that kept Ford Motor plants in our state, we cut $1 billion out of the state budget, and our state economy is one of the most robust in the nation.  Governor Nixon singled me out as one of the leaders responsible for these accomplishments.

Despite our successes here in Missouri, voters, angry over political gridlock, wanted to send a louder message to all incumbents.  Only incumbents in the safest of districts were spared the wrath of an understandably frustrated electorate.

I am proud of our successes here in Missouri and I only wish that we could have more effectively communicated those successes to voters battered by a dismal national economy and disappointed by political gridlock in DC.

I hold my head high today.  I have served my community for 27 years, as a volunteer firefighter, as a 911 dispatcher, as a police officer and as an elected official.  I called my opponent, Paul Weiland, and congratulated him on his victory.  I also offered to help in any way to make the transition as smooth as possible.   Although, I don't know what I will do next, I can guarantee you that I am not yet finished serving the community that I love and have worked so hard for.

I was surrounded by family and friends Tuesday night and that meant the world to me.  I am happy that this set-back means that I will have the opportunity to spend more time with my family.  After six years of splitting time between Jefferson City and home, it is a welcomed blessing.

I thank you for your friendship, your support and your words of kindness.

Yours in service, always,
Jeff Roorda

No comments:

Post a Comment