Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

07 January 2011

Hoskins: Recap of First Week, Legislation Filed

The Missouri 96th session of the Missouri General Assembly is now officially underway. Wednesday was primarily a day of ceremony and festivities as all 163 members of the House of Representatives were sworn in for another term. With all the guests from home districts in the Capitol, celebrations went late into the night. Rep. Scott Largent (District 120 from Clinton) shares office space with me in the Capitol so we welcomed constituents from his district and mine, too. Among those that came by my office included April Anderson, Ashley Cason, Lorrie Myers, Heather Myers, Mary Ellen Young, Stormy Taylor, Violet Corbett, Destry and Cricket Hough, Celeste Hough, Eddie and Betsy Chitwood, Parker and Stella McNeel, Kyle Shell, and Sam Hill. They all agree that my new office has much more room for visitors than I had in the office for my first term. I apologize if I missed anybody that was by for the inaugural but I look forward to you coming to visit my office any time.

Of the 163 members, 79 are new to the House as freshman. Having been in that situation just two years ago when I was newly elected, I understand the enthusiasm combined with confusion they are all feeling. I have been appointed to mentor five new freshmen Representatives and look forward to helping to clarify some of the questions they undoubtedly have. I sure appreciated some of the more senior members of the House helping me understand the workings specific to the House. It is just amazing how much I’ve learned in these past two years.

After the members of the House were sworn in yesterday, the rest of the official business involved electing the leadership. We unanimously elected Rep. Steven Tilley (R-Perryville) as the new Speaker of the House for the next two years. Speaker Tilley is beginning his fourth term in the House. In the private sector, he is Dr. Tilley, an optometrist. Speaker Tilley’s predecessor, Speaker Ron Richard, was no longer eligible to serve in the House due to term limits. He is now Senator Richard, serving Southwest Missouri including Joplin in the Missouri Senate.

During his opening address, Speaker Tilley identified his policy platform for this session while reinforcing the importance of bipartisan cooperation. Under Speaker Tilley’s leadership, the House will balance the budget while holding the line on taxes; be placing a moratorium on new regulations, fees, or taxes for businesses; increase accountability in state government; improve the state’s system of education; and implement free market health care concepts. I agree wholeheartedly that whether Republican or Democrat, every member of the House needs to look at how to make Missouri a better place to live, work, and raise a family. I know there will be differences of opinion, but I believe the House wants to work together to move Missouri forward.

Legislation


So far, I have filed one bill and am fine-tuning several others to be filed. The bill I have already filed is HB 45. I am proposing changes to the laws regarding the Big Government Get Off My Back Act and providing an income tax deduction for certain small businesses that create new full-time jobs. I am looking forward to moving this bill forward as a tool to support small businesses. Although big companies are what make headlines when they come to Missouri, the vast majority of new jobs are created by small business. They may not make big headlines but they do make big impacts for the families their jobs support.

Next Week


The inaugural festivities are now over and it’s time to get to work. I am delighted be back in Jefferson City and continuing to provide representation to the 121st District in Jefferson City. Remember that my constituents are always welcome to see me at the Capitol or in Johnson County.

Please share this report with anyone you feel would be interested in this information. It is genuinely a privilege to serve as your state representative.

No comments:

Post a Comment