Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

13 January 2011

Ridgeway: From Jobs to Health and Seniors to Local Government: My 2011 Committee Assignments

Committees were named in the Senate this week. I was appointed to serve on four committees and will chair one. I will be a member of the Financial, Governmental Organizations, and Elections Committee, the Jobs, Economic Development, and Local Government Committee, and the General Laws Committee. I am honored to have been chosen to chair the Health, Mental Health, Seniors and Families Committee. My appointment to these committees will allow me to have early input on issues important to our area. In addition, I will continue to chair of the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR). This committee is charged with the responsibility of making sure that bureaucratic rules and regulations are in conformity with laws passed by your elected representatives. I have served as chair of this committee for some time.

As chair of Health, Mental Health, Seniors and Families, I will control which bills receive hearings and how quickly they will be considered. I will also decide which bills will be voted on by the committee members. >From that point the bills will go to the full senate for debate.

I am particularly excited to be chairing this committee at this time. As the federal government has pushed health care to the forefront of the political debate, states are becoming increasingly involved in this issue. Many states have filed suit to block various provisions of the health care law. Although our Attorney General has declined to join, the voters of Missouri overwhelmingly passed a referendum that we, as a state, not be subjected to the new law. As chair of the committee charged with considering legislation related to health care, I am looking forward to being involved in this debate. It will allow a platform to uphold the rights of Missouri’s citizens to not be bullied by the federal government in Washington, D.C. It is an honor to be given this opportunity, and I will do my best to use it to the benefit of the citizens of our state.

No comments:

Post a Comment