Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

10 March 2011

Kelley: Bill Targets Use of TANF Funds Outside Missouri

I find that I learn new things every day in this job, and I try to take everything in stride. However, what I learned about where some of Missouri’s welfare recipients are spending their time has me boiling mad.

The government program which distributes welfare benefits is known as TANF (Temporary cash Assistance to Needy Families). Paper food stamps have been replaced by magnetic strip EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) cards. As such, the transactions are readily and easily traceable.

Since much of Missouri’s population lives near a state line, it is understandable some activity is going to occur in other states such as Kansas, Illinois, and Arkansas. However, some states where benefits are being spent are a very long distance from the Show-Me State. One is not even accessible by car.

Chris Nagus, a St. Louis television reporter, examined records provided by the Missouri Department of Social Services. What he found is nothing short of incredible.

In Florida, Missouri welfare recipients spent $84,061 on food and withdrew $9737 in cash from ATMs. In California, the totals were $69,672 for food and $7818 in cash. In the biggest insult to taxpayers, welfare recipients spent $2737 for food and withdrew $175…in HAWAII!

I thought it was bad enough when I would be in line at the grocery store, hoping I had enough money to pay for hamburger and the person in front of me was using an EBT card to pay for steaks. These new events are a whole new level of insult to taxpayers. I am sure there are many hard working Missourians who would love to take their families to Florida, California, or Hawaii for a vacation but cannot afford to do so or cannot get time off from work. Apparently, if a person is not encumbered by having a job it is easier to get away.

No one is saying there are not those who truly need help through no fault of their own. However, when a person is able bodied and can use the system to avoid being productive, no one benefits, including the recipient. A bill was filed this week to limit where benefits issued in Missouri can be spent (HB 816) and I was pleased to add my name as a co-sponsor. I expect the legislation will be debated soon.

There once was a time when being on welfare came with a stigma. Now it is considered normal since that is what their parents did. One generation follows in the footsteps of the previous. We can pass law after law in Jefferson City, but nothing takes the place of personal responsibility.

http://www.kmov.com/news/broke/Missouri-Lawmaker-Proposes-Changes-to-Food-Stamp-Program-117717968.html

Until my next update, I am, and remain, in your service,

Mike

I had mentioned in my last report I am very proud of the success of the students in the 126th District. Lamar R-I, Liberal R-II, Golden City R-III, Lockwood R-I, Greenfield R-IV, Avilla R-XIII, and Dadeville R-II received Missouri's 2011 Distinction in Performance Award, but I found out today that Everton R-III after corrections made by DESE was also awarded this most impressive accolade bestowed by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education on the basis of the district's academic achievements and progress during the 2009-2010 school year. So once again congratulations to all of these schools and if you would be willing to fill out a survey on issues effecting Missouri follow the link below.

http://www.house.mo.gov/housesurvey/Survey.aspx?s=f8fac3862136404cb912e9e6d1ba77ae

No comments:

Post a Comment