Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

06 June 2011

Lant: National Media Amazed At Our Resilient Spirit

I guess I'm like a lot of people and don't really notice familiar things until someone brings them to your attention. This was illustrated to me last week in a big way! I have lived in this area for 48 years and pretty much thought I knew everything there was to know about my friends and neighbors. I have no idea how many strangers I have met since the storm but suffice it to say, a lot! Over and over again I have heard surprised comments about how people here stick together and work through problems. Comments are made about how we help each other out and don't expect anything in return and are willing to share resources with those who have lost everything. You see, many of the volunteers here have been working in other disaster areas around the country. They are used to people who don't offer to share their homes, provide clothing, cook meals, and pray with those who are less fortunate than they are. Believe it or not folks, I have heard from emergency workers that were at Katrina and saw looters stealing from people who were still trapped in debris! One team of EMT's from Blue Springs stayed overnight with us and expressed amazement that people here were telling them "thank you".

Sometimes it takes a terrible tragedy for us to realize how tough we really are. I haven't heard one story where someone was moaning about what material goods they had lost but I've heard a lot of stories from people who have lost all their worldly goods but are thanking the Lord that their family and neighbors are safe. I think we are living in the best place in the world! NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX, and all the rest have all been amazed at our resilient spirit and willingness to clean up the mess and rebuild Joplin.

We'll get plenty of promises of help from Washington and Jefferson City, and most of them will actually be kept, but if no one helped, we would still get the job done. I have heard from countless legislators all around Missouri and quite a few of them including Speaker Tilley will be here this week to help out and a contingent of Legislative Assistants are also on their way down to volunteer and all help is greatly appreciated. We have a huge job ahead of us, and we must forge ahead even while mourning and attending services for those who lost their lives in the storm. I am certain that it will take a long while for us to completely rebuild, but I am also certain that we will have a better place to live than ever before! It will be newer and prettier, but the people can never be any better than they are right now! There is no way I could be any prouder to say that I live in Southwest Missouri than I am right now. The wonderful, caring people that surround us have always been there but it sometimes takes a wake up call to realize how very blessed we are!

Thank you for allowing me to represent You!

Bill Lant

No comments:

Post a Comment