Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

04 March 2011

Hoskins: Funeral Protest Buffer Zones Passed, Appointment to Film Commission, Weekly Chats on KOKO

The General Assembly continues working at full speed ahead. It may feel like spring outside, but I assure you we’re busy representing your interests here at the Capitol.

­

Legislation


I am pleased to report that HB 276 passed with a huge majority through the House. This bill changes the laws regarding unlawful picketing or protesting of a funeral. My heart goes out to the families who have had to endure the horrific treatment by protesters from the Kansas church that pickets funerals of soldiers. I am hopeful this bill will help reinforce the importance of respect and common courtesy in the name of freedom of speech. I understand this bill will be not affected by the recent Supreme Court decision allowing these picketers. The intention of HB 276 is to significantly expand the zone between their exercise of free speech and the mourners at the funeral.

Although not before the full House yet, there has been quite a bit of discussion about HB 628. This bill involves teacher contracts and salaries. As this bill is currently written, I will be voting against it. I appreciate hearing from teachers concerned about how this could impact their ability to teach. In Johnson County, we have incredible teachers who are challenging and motivating students in the learning process. Some of my colleagues in the House are not near as fortunate as I am. I consider it important to maintain the appropriate amount of involvement in the educational process at the state level without being any more intrusive than absolutely necessary. I believe it is paramount for local school boards to maintain responsibility for their districts keeping the authority to decide issues (such as salary structure) for their own teachers.

This week, Speaker Steve Tilley appointed me to the Missouri Film Commission. Missouri needs to continue to work hard to attract production companies to come to Missouri to film movies. This has brought millions of dollars of out-of-state money into Missouri in the last two years, including the films Up in the Air and Winter’s Bone. Recently, Governor Nixon withheld an important economic development tool that caused Paramount Pictures to withdraw their plans to produce another major film in St. Louis and go to another state. All states but one have film commissions or offices which work to keep their state in the forefront of consideration so you can see the competition is stiff. Governor Nixon’s budget recommendation is to eliminate the Missouri Film Commission. With no film commission, there is no one to advocate for Missouri, which means we aren’t seriously considered. I have already made my position clear on the importance of this investment in this economic development effort and will continue to do so in the Budget Committee and on the House floor if necessary.

Capitol Visitors


Monday started the week off with county Farm Bureau representation in Jefferson City from all over the state. I enjoyed having dinner with Violet Corbett and Kevin & Darlene Buckstead.

MSTA (Missouri State Teachers Association) was also in Jefferson City this week. I had a good visit with Heidi Ruhnke, Helen Schmidt, Gwenette Grady, and Kim Wright from Warrensburg and other teachers from Knob Noster. In previous Capitol Reports, I’ve made note of the importance of hearing from constituents. I offer this as a prime example. As HB 628 was not referred to a House committee that I am a member of, talking with these educators was when I first learned about HB 628. After visiting with them, I promptly investigated the bill to see what it proposed and will be voting “no” on the bill should it come to the House floor for debate.

It was my pleasure Wednesday to join with Rep. Bart Korman (Montgomery City) to present Eric Czerniewski a House Resolution and introduce him to my colleagues in the House. Eric has provided effective leadership for the last four years as the UCM Mule’s quarterback. In December, our favorite #13 was named the Harlon Hill Award winner for the nation’s top Division II Player. Eric, originally from Montgomery City, is the first Missouri native ever to win this award. Eric has now graduated from UCM and is putting his bachelor’s degree to good use in management for Sherwin-Williams Paints. I understand Eric and his wife will be buying their first house this month and regrettably moving from Warrensburg. Although saddened they will be leaving Johnson County, I certainly wish them much happiness. I enjoyed watching Eric throw that football.

Today the third floor Rotunda was filled with research posters from undergraduate students from around the state. Calvin Lewis of Warrensburg, a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, shared his project with me. His project is titled "Molecular Descriptors of Polyhedral Boranes and Carboranes: Crucial Parameters for Building Better Drugs.” There were so many projects that to thoroughly study all of those posters would have taken all day!

Ways to Keep in Contact


I like seeing all the surveys coming back from my constituents. A significant number of them include handwritten comments and I personally read every one of those. If you have not yet returned your survey, please take a minute to do so. For the first time this year, constituents can respond to the survey on-line and save postage by accessing my State Representative page on the House website at www.house.mo.gov. I appreciate the input of my constituents. In a few weeks, I’ll report the results of my survey.

On March 24, I will be continuing my ongoing custom to hold public meetings at each of the three Johnson County branches of the Trails Regional Libraries. The libraries make a convenient location to provide a Legislative Update and meet with constituents. I find these events a great opportunity to share what’s happening in Jefferson City as well as hear about things important to you. The Legislature will be on spring break that week so I am taking the opportunity to give you a personal report of the status for the first half of this year’s session. I will begin at Knob Noster at 9:30 a.m., continue with Warrensburg at 12:30 p.m., and host the final one of the day at 2:30 p.m. at Holden. There will be more specific information as the event nears. In the meantime, help spread the word. Besides talking about legislation, I’m open to hear opinions on issues important to you, too.

Reminder


I consider communication with my constituents a high priority. My weekly Monday morning chat at 8:45 a.m. with Woody at KOKO Radio on AM 1450 is one of the best ways I’ve found for you to literally “hear” from me. Tune in every Monday morning at 8:45 to hear the latest concerning District 121.

Please share this report with anyone you feel would be interested in this information. It is genuinely a privilege to serve as your state representative.

No comments:

Post a Comment