Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

17 March 2011

Sater: Concerns About State Budget

Right now the main topic at the Capitol is the BUDGET! This is the House of Representatives only constitutional requirement. It does not mean we have to pass any other bills, but of course we will. Some are unnecessary and some do help our citizens. However, in my opinion, we certainly have too many bills.

We have consent bills which have no fiscal notes or opposition and non-consent bills. Even if it is a consent bill, there will be a slight cost for the government. This year we passed a budget which is slightly more than last year and that disturbs me. I really think that an increase in general revenue is overstated and we still need to cut back on programs that I call “feel good” programs. I do hope things improve with our economy, but I’m not optimistic. This week we finalized the budget with the passage of all 13 appropriation bills.

This is my sixth year on the Budget Committee and I am a little worried. In the past, we had many votes against each bill from the Democrat side, and this year, every bill was passed without dissent from both sides of the isle. I guess I am just suspicious. The amendment process was very calm. Usually there are over 200 amendments and this year only 62. Most of them were withdrawn or not offered. As is my usual agenda, I tried to reduce some program expenditures. This did not work out and even my fellow Republicans voted against my decreases. The process on increasing a fund line is that you have to decrease another line before you can increase a program that you feel needs more funding. I was successful on a couple of items.

The main line that I increased, after taking away money from another program, was to fund the UMKC-Missouri State collaboration for a pharmacy program at Missouri State. The startup cost for this program is 2 million dollars and I was able to secure these funds. This was the biggest transfer of funds in the amendment process. Of course, it has to be approved in the Senate. I accomplished this last year, but the Senate deleted it, but there is more support this year for this line. Another line item I had some success with was increased funding for advertising in the tourism budget.

There is a good chance this year to pass legislation [SB1] entitled Right to Work. The legislation ensures that a person does not have to join a union in order to work at a company. In states that have passed similar legislation, percentage of growth in employment and a company's growth is much higher than in states that do not permit this.

This week we debated adjustments to Proposition B, the so called “puppy mill law.” Surprisingly, many Democrats from the rural areas support this initiative [HB131]. The House will not take our bill up for a vote because a similar Senate bill [SB113] will be passed and will come to the House for a vote.

Next week the House will stand adjourned for Spring Break, which means we are halfway through the session. At least nothing bad can happen when we are not up here.

I continue to receive concerns on issues and personal matters from you. I will always do my best to help you and take each one seriously. Contact me anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment