Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

27 May 2011

Davis: Joplin Tornado

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” –Dr. Seuss

As Sunday afternoon came and my family and I went shopping after church, I began to write my capitol report. It was taking longer to write because I was so distracted with the events of the day, I decided to finish it after my family and I went to hear Paul Meinsen from the Capitol Commission preach. As we were helping Paul setup his missionary display at the church, it began to ran. And rain it did. I have never seen so much water fall in such a short period. Church was cancelled as we realized the severity of the weather. Little did I know as we heard the tornado sirens blowing that Joplin would soon see the worst tornado in US history and that would decimate the city I love. As soon as we left the church, I decided to drive to my business in Joplin to make sure all was well. To my delight, nothing was damaged. But I still didn’t realize at that point what had happened just a few minutes prior. We left my store and proceeded to drive down Rangeline Rd. when we started to see signs of something that would soon be gut wrenching. I looked to my left where I saw the Burger King playground standing alone, the building was literally gone. At that moment, my stomach began to sink. As we drove just a few feet further, I saw the Payless Shoe Store where my daughter worked A You Tube Video to Watch that will touch your heart
had been utterly destroyed. Nothing left except for some shoes scattered throughout the parking lot. I didn’t know that just a few minutes later, my daughter would be digging through the rubble looking for 2 of her coworkers. Thankfully they dug themselves out and were injured but safe.

I drove back to my house to get my dad’s truck and loaded her up with chainsaws, generator, sledge hammers, lights and lots of fuel. My neighbor Chris Myers and I drove to find some friends who were in the direct path of the tornado. As we got closer you could smell natural gas and hear the huge leaks from broken gas mains. It was like a war zone, trees down EVERYWHERE. There was not a standing tree for miles. As we found the house of our friend and realized that they had made it out alive, I looked to the left and saw the most devastating sight I have ever seen. My hospital was almost gone. The top two floors were missing and as we learned later, the entire building has shifted over 4 inches on its foundation. With as much damage as it sustained, I was informed that only 6 people had lost their lives. 6 lost lives is sad but there could have literally been many hundreds. The helicopter laying on its side with just the frame surviving. As Congressman Billy Long and I flew around Joplin in a National Guard helicopter on Tuesday morning, it gave us a perspective of how wide the tornado was. ¾ of a mile wide and 6 miles long.

I then drove to one of my employees house and was shocked at the damage. It was a couple of mile drive and there was not a house standing. As I got close to his house, we had to walk. There was no way to drive there. As I ran to his house I saw him standing in shock in front of his home….. destroyed. He lost everything. We got his truck cleaned up an I sent him to my house to stay. Even though he lost everything, he was so happy to be alive.

Chris and I proceeded to go find people to help. We made it to the Home Depot and saw the entire structure crumbled on top of itself. As information got to me, I began to cry. To see the loss of life first hand, it started to sink in. This was bad. We began loading trucks with supplies knowing it was going to be a long night. While rescue operations were getting organized, we decided to go into the heart of the disaster because we knew people were needing help. As we drove toward the high school, it became apparent that this was a horrific tragedy. The high school was destroyed. Harmony Heights Baptist Church, across the street from the high school, was gone. Cars were in the parking lot as worshipers began to arrive for the evening service. But the cars were all twisted like aluminum foil. My 5 year old son has a lot of Matchbox cars that are damaged just like these real ones. Tops ripped off, trucks bent around tree trunks, doors ripped off the frames and some didn’t even look like cars. We spent until 3 AM looking for survivors in a huge apartment complex. It was pouring rain, flashlight batteries running low and debris covering literally everything.
Home Depot

Our Business District

As dawn broke and the threat of more tornadoes lingered in the air, I really began to realize just how bad it was. 25% of my city was gone, literally. In the small town of Duquesne just east of Joplin, they lost about 50% of their homes and businesses. My friend retired Army Sergeant Major Andy Simpson came on Thursday to help. The out pouring of help from all around our country has been remarkable. Representative Curtman from Jefferson County brought a large U-Haul truck full of needed items. We literally have thousands of volunteers here to help. It is such a blessing. The National Guard and law enforcement officers from around the state and surrounding states have done a fantastic job coordinating traffic flow and ensuring our local residents are safe. I cannot begin to name all those involved who have done a great job.

We in Joplin have suffered a great loss but we will persevere. We are strong people with strong ties to each other and by the grace of God we will rise again. When asked what we will do I always answer this way: We will bury our deceased, morn their passing and then rebuild. Joplin, Duquesne and the surrounding area will be a stronger and better place to live as we rebuild our buildings, homes and relationships. Continue to pray, please.

1 comment:

  1. I live in North Carolina. I was the first store manager for that Payless ShoeSource on 15th and Rangeline, back in July of 1993 when I lived on 15th and Michigan in Joplin. I feel horrible for the people of Joplin, and I hope only the best going forward. By the way, my name is Mike E.

    ReplyDelete