Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

28 May 2011

Kelley: Overwhelming Generosity For Tornado Victims

Without question, the biggest news to hit Missouri since the end of Session is the massive tornado which devastated Joplin, Missouri. By now you have seen the news stories and heard the gut-wrenching tales of the survivors.

Coming out of this disaster has been incredible stories of generosity, not only from the immediate area, but the entire state as well as other states. At McDonald’s in Lamar we have seen a steady flow of emergency vehicles and volunteers either heading south to Joplin, or going north back to their homes after aiding in the relief effort.

Sometimes the generosity has been literally overwhelming. I happened to be in Jefferson City immediately after the tornado struck and was able to secure a donation of as much bottled water from the Missouri Soft Drink Association as I could bring back this way. I picked it up from the Coca-Cola facility of former State Senator Carl Vogel. Not thinking about the weight involved, I loaded my mini-van as full as I could get it and headed for Joplin. I soon realized a family mini-van was not intended to carry 3000 lbs of water very far. I made it to the shelter, but did not set any speed records getting there.

Although I am beginning to realize there are no depths to which some very despicable people will sink, I was incredibly disappointed to learn the Westboro group (I refuse to refer to them as a church) is planning on coming to Joplin to stage a protest. This is the same group that has created so much controversy by staging protests at military funerals around the country. Last year they were in Lamar, bringing their message of hate. I know they will get their just reward in the hereafter, but it doesn’t make it any easier to tolerate them now. I hope the hottest depths of hell are reserved for those individuals who behave that way while pretending to cloak themselves in God’s Word.

After the initial surge of volunteers leaves, I hope we do not forget this will be a long, drawn out effort. Help will be needed for months to come as yards need cleaned and limbs removed. The headlines will fade, but the need will not.

I hope we see this kind of turn out tomorrow to show the Westboro folks once again how we do it in Southwest Missouri. I will be at the memorial and because of security, I will have to be their two hours early, but I hope someone takes some great photos and shares them with me!

Until my next update, I am, and remain, in your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment