Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

05 October 2011

Kraus: Waiting on House



This week is another week of inactivity for the Senate in the special session. While we are waiting for the House to act upon an economic development bill [SB8], we senators have not been meeting as a full body in order to save taxpayer money. At this time, it appears that a House committee will meet to hear a bill Wednesday, Oct. 5, and possibly have the full House vote on it Thursday, Oct. 6, after which it would be sent to the Senate for its review.

Basic Training Graduation


While I am disappointed that the House is moving so slowly, the break allows me to take a personal trip to attend the graduation of my son, Tylor, from U.S. Army basic training in Fort Benning, Georgia. Tylor has spent his time there learning basic military customs and training to serve this great country.

Nineteen years ago, I graduated from basic training at Fort Benning. I enlisted in the mechanized industry prior to obtaining a degree at the University of Central Missouri. It was truly a special moment to be able to return to the same base to see my son graduate and shoulder the crucial job of serving as a military service member.

Tylor joined the Army Reserves, and he will train to become a mechanic on the Chinook helicopter. This is the same aircraft that I enjoyed flying while in the U.S. Army Reserves — I am now a member of the U.S. National Guard. He surely appreciates it when I tell people I abandoned flying the Chinook when I learned Tylor was to be a Chinook mechanic! (Actually, I joined the Guard to secure a promotion from Captain to Major; I plan to fly again in the Guard.)

In addition to visiting with my son, I also will bring information back to the Missouri Military Preparedness and Enhancement Commission, of which I am a member. I will be touring the Fort Benning base to learn more about how bases outside of Missouri operate.

New District Office


When I return next week, we will be opening an 8th Senatorial District office in Lee’s Summit. This new office will serve as a direct link to the voters of the 8th District. It also offers me the opportunity to host individual and small group meetings to better understand the concerns of the people of District 8.

It is a great pleasure for me to provide this service to the citizens of the 8th District. The office is a vital way to maintain contact, not only within the district, but between the 8th District and the State Capitol, as well. I look forward to the opportunities that this facility offers to increase communication.

The new office is located at 4201 NE Lakewood Way, Suite 100, Lee’s Summit. Opening Tuesday, Oct. 11, the hours of operation are 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The office can also be reached by telephone toll-free at (888) 711-9278. Mark Siettmann, my Chief of Staff, will staff the office and will be available to answer questions regarding my current legislative and district activities.

If you would like to meet with either of us there, I encourage you to call ahead for an appointment because occasional meetings and lunches will have us out of the office. The office will be closed when the Senate is in session and on state holidays.

My office in Jefferson City will continue to be open normal office hours; don’t hesitate to contact me there, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment