Weather-Related Disclaimer: missives from legislators concerning road conditions, although timely and important, should be considered snapspots in time. For the most recent travel information, please consult MoDOT's Web site at http://www.modot.org/.

Disclaimer:
except when the post starts "MO Expat", all content published on Missives from Missouri is written and supplied by the noted legislator. Said missives will not necessarily reflect the views of Kyle Hill, the operator of Missives from Missouri, and as such the operator does not assume responsibility for its content. More information
Share this missive:

31 March 2011

Hoskins: Buidget Advances, A Multitude of Visitors This Week

Now that the mid-session break is over, we in the Legislature have rolled up our shirt sleeves to be back at work for some heavy lifting. Many thanks to those of you who attended one of my three legislative update sessions last Thursday in Knob Noster, Warrensburg, and Holden. I appreciate the informal nature of these opportunities to bring constituents up to date with the first half of this year’s session. I especially appreciate being able to hold these updates at the Trails Regional Library branches. I am excited about next time being in the new library facility which will be serving Knob Noster.

Legislative Update


The primary focus for this week’s activities by the House has been the budget. Actually, the budget has consumed the majority of our efforts. And this is as it should be as it is clearly budget season. As a member of the House Budget Committee, chairman of Appropriations – Transportation & Economic Development, and a Certified Public Accountant, I am clearly a number-cruncher and relish working on the budget.

On Wednesday, the House approved all 13 appropriations bills, which makes up the total budget. The budget now moves to the Senate for them to address on the other end of the Capitol. I feel very good about what we’ve sent the Senate but only time will tell as to what changes the Senate will propose. When the Senate finishes with those bills, then they will go to a conference committee to be finally ironed out. I’m hopeful any changes the Senate might have will be minimal.

I’ve covered the appropriations process in earlier Capitol Reports but as a quick review, the primary responsibility of the House is to create the annual state budget. The Governor provides a recommendation from all of the agencies which becomes the template the six different Appropriations Committees and the Budget Committee use to create the budget. Then the full House acts on the 13 appropriations bills covering all facets of the operation of the state and its programs. The Senate takes these 13 bills under consideration and offers their amendments. If the Senate bills differ from the House versions, then they go a conference committee to iron out differences. Then the House and Senate will again act on the conference committee version of the appropriations. Ultimately, the appropriations bills will go to the Governor for signature. It is a lengthy process but without a budget, the state cannot provide its programs and services.

Visitors to the Capitol


There have been so many visitors through my office this week in the Capitol that I know I’ll surely forget to mention somebody. If I didn’t mention you, then please accept my apologies in advance.

Groups included Johnson County Hospice, Freedom of the Road Riders, Recovery Lighthouse, Baillie James (a Truman State student from Warrensburg), Communication Workers of America, Mark Reynolds (Johnson County Assessor), Jane Van Sant and Steve Mohler (Missouri Conservation Day), and officers from Warrensburg FFA for Farm Bureau’s Youth Leadership Day. I am delighted to have had so many groups come by my office.

Ways to Keep in Contact


In next week’s Capitol Report, I plan to report the results from my surveys. It seems like the largest groups of surveys have been returned so I think it’s time to report in. If you haven’t sent yours back yet, then dig it out of the pile of old mail we all let accumulate. Instead of mailing the survey back, you can respond on-line and save postage. Go to my State Representative page on the House website at www.house.mo.gov. I truly appreciate the input of my constituents.

Reminder


I consider communication with my constituents a high priority. My weekly Monday morning chat at 8:45 a.m. with Woody at KOKO Radio on AM 1450 is one of the best ways I’ve found for you to literally “hear” from me. Tune in every Monday morning at 8:45 to hear the latest concerning District 121.

Please share this report with anyone you feel would be interested in this information. As the Legislature will not be in session, it will be two weeks before my next Capitol Report. It is genuinely a privilege to serve as your state representative.

No comments:

Post a Comment